Kids love art and craft, and there is no doubt about it. Schools always encourage their children in art and craft. When any national holidays are near, preschools always engage children in art projects.
During July 4th, Flag Day, Memorial Day, parents and teachers always encourage children to do patriotic crafts and activities. Patriotic crafts are the simple life skills that you must teach your kids. There are many easy and fun patriotic crafts to make with kids. They are listed below.
Easy Patriotic Crafts To Make With Kids
You need to teach the country’s values and ask your kids to respect the country. The more you get your kids involved in the patriotic craft, the more they will start to value their nation. Here are 11 patriotic crafts to make with kids. Have a look.
1. Pom Pom Flags
The easiest craft you can do with your kids is making Pom Pom flags. You can make pom-pom flags in just 20 minutes. Children love pom-pom flags, so make pom-pom flags on this Flag day.
Some material that you will need for making Pom Pom flags are:
- Pom Pom with Red, White, Blue
- White Button
- Patriotic Ribbon
Methods To Make Pom Pom Flag
- First of all, separate each color pom-pom and keep them in separate bowls.
- Now, add glue to the canvas. While adding glue, add glue on the row.
- Once you add glue to the line, you can add pom over the glue. While adding pom pom, add red pom-pom in one row, and a second-row white row and next row again add a red pom.
- Be extra careful while adding blue pompom. You need to add the blue pom-pom only on the three or four rows on the flag’s upper left corner.
- In place of stars, you can add white buttons over the blue pom-poms.
2. American Dot Flag
Kids love to make flags during national holidays, and it’s easy to make American flags. Children make flags during 4th July and Memorial Day, and American flag craft is easy to create for preschoolers, school students, and even old-age people. Dot flag is one of the flag crafts that you can make on national holidays.
Materials that you will need to make American Dot flags are:
- Printable American flag
- Do-A-Dot-Art marker
- White Hard Paper
Methods To Make American Dot Flag
- To make an American dot flag, first of all, you need to download a printable flag. You can even create a printable flag yourself.
- Once you download the flag, now you need to add a dot on each row. Inside the small square of the flag, add blue dots.
- Now on the horizontal lines, add red dots. That’s it; your dot flag is ready.
3. Patriotic Necklace
When it’s independence day or flag day, kids love to wear something with a flag painting. You can even make accessories like patriotic necklaces during national holidays. Even though it might sound tough to make necklaces, making a necklace is super easy. Making necklaces will also help to develop fine motor practice and patterning.
To make a necklace, you will need materials like:
- String or thread
- Blue beads
- Red and white straw
Methods To Make Patriotic Necklace
- Cut the string or thread as per the size of your kid’s neck. The thread length should belong to fit your kid’s head over it.
- Next, you need to cut the straw into small pieces. The length of pieces should not be more than 1 inch.
- Now tie a blue bead on the end of the string to prevent straws and beads from slipping over.
- You can wrap other ends of the string with tape.
- Now you can start threading beads and straw one by one. You should keep red and blue beads alternatively. You can place your beads as per the pattern you like. For instance, you can place 2 or 3 blue beads and a piece of straw.
- Once you complete your necklace, you can tie both ends of the string. And that’s it; your necklace is ready.
4. DIY Patriotic Star Shirt
Another patriotic craft to make with kids is a DIY star shirt. Most of the family have a tradition of wearing shirts during national day. When national days are around, you can engage your kids in the fun craft of making patriotic t-shirts for the whole family. You need to help your kids for making patriotic shirts.
Here are materials that you will need to make patriotic star shirts:
- Plain white t-shirt
Methods To Make Patriotic Star Shirt
- Iron the t-shirt that you want to craft stars
- Trace 2 inch and 1-inch stars and cut off the stars
- Now, place a 2-inch star in the middle of 1-inch stars on the t-shirt where you want to print.
- Press iron over the stars for 30 seconds and let it cool off.
- You can even stitch the stars to prevent the stars from falling off. You can do this step only after drying the iron.
5. Salt Painting Firework
The next patriotic craft to make with kids that we have is a salt painting firework. Diy salt painting is a fun craft for children, and salt painting fireworks are easy to make and super fun for kids. Salt painting fireworks can be made with just a few steps.
- PVA glue
- Black paper or card
- Paints and paintbrush
Methods of Salt Painting
- Use PVA glue to paint the firework; paint as if fireworks are exploding.
- Now cover all the glue with salt by sprinkling salt over the glue.
- Shake off the excess salt from the glue.
- Now make the paint watery and dip a bit of colored water over salt.
- Add different colors over salt to make it more attractive.
6. Patriotic Photo Booth Props
Holidays mean we will click pictures. On upcoming independence day, make your photo booth with your kids and take pictures together. Make crafting patriotic photo booth props as an art and craft project with your kids.
- Printable props
Methods of Making Photobooth Props
- First of all, you need to print all the printable props.
- Now, cut the cardboard in equal shape and size to the printable props.
- Paste the props over the glue and color the border if you see any blank space.
- Next, you need to glue the straw at the back of the prop, and your prop is ready.
7. Rock Painting
One of the easy patriotic kid’s crafts is rock painting. Many preschools organize rock painting crafts for their students when the 4th of July is around the corner. You can use your kid’s patriotic rock painting as a decor item during the 4th of July party, and this gesture will encourage your kids to get more involved in art and craft.
- Color Paints
- Paint Brushes
Methods of Rock Painting
- Collect rocks of different sizes and start by painting the rocks in one solid color. You can color the rocks in three different colors. Make sure to color the rocks 3 to 4 coats.
- Now let the color dry for a while.
- Once the rock gets dry, hold the stencils over your rock and paint the stencils.
- Let the paint dry, and you are set to place the rock painting on your decorations.
8. Patriotic Hand Paint
Kids love to get messy with paints. Handprints and face paints are the most loved activities for them. Hand paints are very easy patriotic kids crafts that you can do with your kids. You can do this task in just a few steps.
- Washable Paints
- Paint Brushes
Methods of Hand Paint
- First, you need to paint a square on the corner of the palm.
- Draw red and white rows alternatively from palm to the fingers.
- Now take a blue paper of your choice and press your hand over the paper to print it.
- Once your blue paint dries, draw a star over the blue area, and that’s it. Your hand paint is ready.
- In addition, if you want your print to be more attractive, you can even add a border to the papers.
9. 4th July Sneakers
The next paint activity that we have is sneakers painting. Help your kids to paint flags on their sneakers. Sneaker paintings are a cool trend these days, and kids also love to paint their sneakers, especially during July 4th.
- White Canvas Sneaker
- Red and Blue color paint
Methods of Making 4th July Sneaker
- If you want to avoid mistakes, the first step is to draw the design you want to paint on the shoe on paper.
- Next, sketch your shoe with a pencil.
- Now, fill the color with the outlines. Your July 4th sneakers are ready.
You can draw your sneakers with different patterns you want, like stars and stripes similar to the flag.
10. Washi Tape Flag Craft
Flags are the perfect patriotic crafts to make with kids during national days. You can make flags using different techniques. Above, I have already mentioned two different methods of making flags; here is one more technique of making flags using washi tapes.
- Red, white and blue washi tape
- Star stickers
Methods of Making Flags Using Washi Tape
- Cut the cardboard to the size of the flag you want.
- Now place red and white washi tape alternatively in a horizontal line.
- Cut the blue washi tape on smaller sizes, and place them on the top left corner.
- Next, place the stars over the top of blue washi tape, and your washi tape flag is ready.
11. Patriotic Washi Wooden Bracelet
Kids love accessories, whether it be a necklace, hat, sunnies, or bracelet. Like a necklace, you can make your bracelet patriotic by adding some colors or tapes to it. Yes, you don’t have to buy an additional bracelet with flags; you can make it on your own.
- Red, blue, and white washi tape
- Wooden bracelet
Methods of Making Washi Wooden Bracelet
- Clean your bracelet.
- Now place each washi tape one after the other in an alternative manner.
- Cover all the bracelets with wash tape.
To sum up, kids need to be taught about the value of their nation and ways to preserve their national days by doing different activities. I hope this article will be helpful for you to teach a few awesome patriotic crafts to make with kids on national days.
If you have some more patriotic craft that you can do with your kids, then do mention them in the comment section below. And, let us know if the information was helpful.