Read this blog to learn the ways you can monitor websites visited by users of your network.
The usage of the internet has simplified our life. We are connected worldwide through a click, and gaining information and knowledge has been more convenient. However, as soon as we are connected to the internet, we are continuously monitored.
You can monitor people based on the websites they visit if they are connected within your network. Controlling the visited sites is essential as, through this medium, you can monitor your kid’s activities over the internet. You can keep track of the productivity of your employees by monitoring their internet browsing history.
Why To Monitor Websites Visited By Users?
The Internet has put kids at risk, due to which you need to be vigilant. Kids might surf for adult content, access harmful content, share information among strangers, and enroll in sexting and sharing pornography. They get access to the sites related to violence, terrorism, cyberbullying, gores, etc., which are harmful to them.
If your kids get connected more to irrelevant content, they might be encouraged to spread violence and be the ones involved in cyberbullying. Unnecessary websites cause some of the kids to suffer from anxiety and depression. Therefore, on-time monitoring of a kid’s online activities is mandatory.
If you have a private network connected in business, you can constantly keep an eye on your worker’s productivity. You get the information of the time employees to spend on business work and the time they give for surfing unnecessary web content. In short, through website monitoring, you can check the relevancy and dedication of employees towards work.
How Websites Visited By Users are Monitored?
URLs and IP addresses are accessed to oversee history on visited websites of users connected to your network. You can see the content they search for on the browser but can’t track videos they watch, communication users makeover social media, or the online articles they go through.
What Can You Monitor?
The network provider can monitor the following activities of the connected devices within the network.
- Network providers get to know the time you spend online.
- They can see the time you connected and disconnected to the Internet.
- Network providers get to view URL users’ visits.
- Network providers can know the IP addresses of the source and destination server.
- The exact time a user spends on certain online content, articles, or email reading is also noted. However, the network provider can’t see through those contents.
How To Monitor Websites Visited By Users of My Network?
If you are a network provider, ultimately, you get access to personal data and unencrypted files of the users connected to your network. I have provided a few ways to monitor user’s activities over your network. Check out the website monitoring tools and select the one feasible to you.
1. Wireless Router : Linksys
You can use a wireless router to monitor different websites and URLs visited by the devices connected to your internet. To monitor websites through a wireless router, you can simply log in to the router and get credentials for viewing browser history.
Here are the steps to follow to monitor websites using a wireless router.
- Go to any internet browser, and search your IP address on the address bar.
- You will be displayed with the router’s manual, where you can sign in for admin credentials.
- On the option ‘Logs,’ you can check the history of websites being visited on your network.
- The network provider can also block access to harmful or irrelevant websites.
2. Advanced IP Scanner
One of the commonly used software to scan the network is Advanced IP Scanner. The network scanner helps you get through all network devices, detect shared folders, visit websites, and activities over the internet. The devices Advanced IP Scanner scans include smartphones, printers, computers, laptops, tablets, etc.
All of the devices in Advanced IP Scanner are connected with the common services of FTP and HTTP. The network admin can supervise the users’ tasks and remotely turn off the connected devices whenever they want.
Key Features of Advanced IP Scanner are:
- Give access to shared resources over the internet.
- Detection of MAC and IP addresses.
- You can switch on and off the remote computers.
- The network provider can manually configure the accuracy and speed of data to scan on the target devices.
NetworkMinor is another network sniffer software used to analyze network data. The software captures the files and resources of the user connected to the network.
You can use a keyword tool to verify network packets from Network Minor. For instance, if you have switched on NetworkMinor, you can go to a browser and search for keywords. If you search for ‘Websites monitoring tools’ in the address bar and view the ‘Images’ section, you get access to those images that your remote devices visited recently.
You can use NetworkMinor to,
- Extract files from HTTP, FTP, SMTP, and so on.
- The software configures Geo IP localization and the time zone of connected devices.
- Tracing web browsers is more manageable by using NetworkMinor.
- The network provider can extract the audio of VOIP calls.
Chamspy is regarded as the best parental control application to monitor a child’s activity on the internet. Champy is user-friendly and lets your kids make healthier use of the devices and internet. You can continuously supervise social media activities and browsing history. You can filter, block, or prevent websites that are not suitable for your kiddos.
Champy works on Android, iOS, Windows, and Mac. With Chamspy, you can view remote device’s timestamps, URL they visit, browsing history, and bookmarks. You can use the following steps to set up and use the Chamspy tracking app.
- Select a subscription plan, either a free or paid version.
- Then, you get an email with login details. Log in to ‘Control Panel’ and follow Chamspy’s usage instructions.
- Now, use the targeted device’s browser to download and install the Chamspy app.
- Finally, you are legally liable to monitor websites on the targeted device.
The open-source packet analyzer that captures network traffic over a locally connected network is Wireshark. The network provider can monitor multiple protocols and platforms using Wireshark.
Wireshark stores the data you extract in the form of packets. The data packets you collected can be exported later on as files to view data and information shared over a local network.
Few rich features of Wireshark are:
- Wireshark lively captures data of remote devices that you can view offline.
- VOIP analysis is possible through Wireshark.
- The software gives access to read/write on captured file formats.
With these 5 methods, as mentioned earlier, you can effectively monitor websites visited by your network users.
Wireless Router, Advanced IP Scanner, NetworkMinor, Chamsoy, and Wireshark are a few network monitoring applications under my recommendation. Go through the features and functionality of these website monitoring tools and choose the one that is suitable for you. You can let me know if the article was helpful through the comment section.